We continuously strive to:
- Nurture relationships among students, staff, and families.
- Teach in a developmentally appropriate way.
- Increase and strengthen family involvement.
- Support students to become resourceful, self-directed learners.
- Develop students who take responsibility for their physical and social environment.
- Foster the important learning that takes place during conflict, negotiation, problem-solving and resolution.
- Promote the social nature of learning by including many chances for children to interact and discuss their views.
- Embrace children’s ability to learn through play and exploration.
- Engage students in the world outside the classroom.
- Educate the whole child so that children grow physically, emotionally, intellectually, and artistically.
- Implement authentic, integrated curricula that are hands-on and experiential, and allow for meaningful choice.
- Help students understand and serve our communities.
- Assess student growth through formative assessment, observational narratives, portfolios, and self-reflection.
- Govern our school as a collaboration between staff and parents.
- Maintain a student population that reflects the diversity of Juneau.
"When my child noticed me in her school, helping and being involved, her attitude toward school changed immediately."
"The staff and relationships are key, but Brenda's math program is so well done and has turned by son into a budding scientist."
"JCCS isn't about teaching, it's about learning. A subtle yet important distinction the teachers understand."
These relationships, developed and maintained throughout the years of a student’s education at JCCS, help children to grow as confident individuals and productive and contributing members of their communities now and in the future.
To learn more about the Juneau Community Charter School, here is a folder of orientation documents.